email us: email@example.com
Client: National Offenders Management Service & Kier Southern
HMP Lewes is a Victorian prison, built in 1853. The F wing is Grade 2 listed and the whole site is designated a 'Heritage Area'. The building is arranged over four levels and has a flint faced facade with traditional pitched roof with asbestos cement roof tiles.
The wing was totally refurbished including mechanical and electrical services. The roof space beneath the structure is now used for large plan items and ductwork.
Structural masonry in the roof void area was removed where possible and existing purlins strengthened with steel members so as to span up to 7.5m, creating spaces for the mechanical plant.
Roughton was commissioned to: